The other day I was reading an article about Obama’s forthcoming address to the nation. And, as usual, I started reading the comments that people post. It makes me feel like I know the pulse of the country. Anyway, as always, there are the “Obama Haters”, which is fine. It’s to be expected with any President. I hope for the sake of the country we all don’t just like a President because he’s from a particular party, or dislike him/her because of their gender or race.
What’s amazing to me is that so many people have such a misinformed opinion of what is actually happening in the U.S., let alone the rest of the world. It’s like they refuse to pay attention and listen to what everyone has to say, and make an informed decision. In reading some of the comments that were posted on CNN it was like “Hillbilly Bob” fired up his Internet Box and landed on cnn.com by accident. While there he said to himself, “That Obama, he’s just another black man gettin’ paid by the government, to do nothin’” (Side note: I’ve got nothing against Hillbillies, should you be affiliate with the like.)
So I read on…. And one comment struck me as kind of like, “man you just pulled shit out of your ass and smeared it onto your computer screen.” He or She referenced the Obama “Change” slogan used in the campaigns in regards to 6 items that Obama hasn’t changed:
- Still in Iraq/Afghanistan
- Gitmo is still around
- Hasn’t repealed the Patriot Act
- Hasn’t fixed unemployment
- Hasn’t reduced the country’s debt
- Another War
Now, I’m definitely not a political genius, and I’m ready to accept when I’m wrong. But I think that if this person had known that Google exists, he would have found out the real reason why these things haven’t changed.
Anyway, here’s what I posted in response (which I rarely ever do, unless there is a complete display of lack of someone’s faculties):
I’m glad to see that you (and a lot of other people) have such a strong grasp on reality. I mean, I totally understand how easy it is to knock someone, especially when you have no real knowledge on the issue. Its funny how you bring up 6 topics that are not Obama’s fault as the President. They are the fault of the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, The Tea Party, The Independent Party, and most of all us Americans as a group. We’ve let the politicians (all of them, regardless of party) use their agendas to further their political career, totally dismissing the effect it will have on our ability as a country to have a job, save money, etc…. You can ask any Senator or Congressman how they’re going to help you find a job, and they’ll all answer the say way – whatever their party tells them to say. They’re not going to say how they will bring more business to your town without taxing you. They’re not going to say how they’re going to make the tax laws equal for all Americans. They don’t even know how tax laws work, most of them anyway. I think that just like our founding fathers fought against the British for freedom from taxation without representation, for freedom to live and prosper, we need to send that message back to our current President, Congress, Senate, Governors, Mayors, Janitors, whoever will listen. I think that instead of the politicians campaigning for our votes, we campaign against them. “Jobs for Votes – you want our vote, you bring jobs”
Now to address the 6 things you think Obama screwed up on:
1. Iraq/Afghanistan – Still there because of defense contracts controlled by the Republican Party, initiated under the Bush/Cheney regime. These wars should have been over under Bush – why didn’t he end them?
2. Gitmo – Still Around – Of Course Gitmo is still around, where else would America put potential terrorists, on US soil?? More Americans are opposed to keeping these prisoners off our soil for fear of retaliation. That’s why Gitmo is there. Find a better place, buy it, and sell it to the U.S. – just make sure you have the American People behind you.
3. Patriot Act – It takes an Act of Congress to change and/or remove the Patriot Act. Even if Obama initiated a repeal, he would crucified by the right-wing for potentially risking U.S. National Security. They would scare the American people into believing that without it we would all be victims of terrorism every time we went grocery shopping. “Don’t go to the grocery store, terrorists are going to blow up your Frosted Flakes”
4 & 5. Unemployment and Debt are a direct result of the same thing. A bad mortgage policy instituted by the Bush administration. “Let’s make it easier for Americans to get home loans. Who cares if they don’t have the paperwork to prove their income” This lead to bank collapses, people getting foreclosed on, people taking loans they couldn’t afford. It is the true definition of the “butterfly effect”
6. War 1-More: what exactly are you referring to. The War on Drugs, The War in Libya…?
Please let me know what you think. If I’m wrong, just show me the facts and I’ll give you a dollar. (I’m lying, I won’t give you dollar, but I will say thanks for being a good AmERican).